You will need:
Yellow DK yarn (I used Rowan Handknit Cotton, Sunshine, shade 354)
Pink DK yarn (I used Stylecraft Classique Cotton DK, Shell Pink, shade 3666)
Sewing needle with an eye large enough to thread yarn through
This pattern is written using US crochet terminology
Ss – slip stitch
Sc – single crochet
Hdc – half double crochet
Dc – double crochet
Ch sp – chain space
MR – magic ring
BLO – back loop only
Easy Crochet Pansy
1. Make a MR using pink yarn, chain 4, make 1sc into ring, *chain 3, make 1sc into ring*, repeat from *to* 3 times. Pull MR closed. You should now have 5 chain spaces.
2. Working into the 1st ch sp *make 1sc, ch1, 3dc, ch1, 1sc*
5. Turn the flower so the right side is facing you again and working into the 5ch sp, make *1sc, ch1, 5dc, ch1, 1sc*, working into the next ch sp repeat from *to* once. Fasten off leaving a long tail – this will be used to embroider the front of the flower later. You should now have an extra set of yellow petals.
6. Using pink yarn, rejoin in the top of the 1st sc of the 1st yellow front petal, make 1sc in every stitch around the edge of the petal, slip stitch into the space between the 2 yellow front petals. Make 1 sc in every stitch around the top of the second yellow front petal. Fasten off and weave in ends.
8. Using the long ends from step 2 and step 5 and a sewing needle, using the yellow yarn on the pink petals and the pink yarn on the yellow petals embroider 3 stitches from the centre of the MR to the middle of each petal. Weave in all loose ends and enjoy!
Like this pattern? Buy the Ruby and Custard Crochet book! Available on Amazon and in all good book shops!
Copyright – Melissa Masterton 2015